Dr. Marco Otto
- Since May 2013: Research assistant (PostDoc) at the Chair of Climatology
- April 2013: PhD (Dr. rer. nat.)
Doctoral Thesis: "Spatio-Temporal Modifications of Mountainous Land Cover in Relation to Precipitation in the Central Andes."
- 2007: Graduate Engineer of Landscape Planning
Diploma Thesis: "Vegetation change in high Andean wetlands in southern Peru using remote sensing analysis as a contribution to environmental planning"
- 2000 - 2007 Studies of Landscape Planning at the TU-Berlin
- 2005 - 2007 Student Assistant at the chair of climatology (Prof. Scherer)
- 2003 - 2005 Student Assistant at the chair of Hydrologic Balance and Cultural Technology (Prof. Diestel)
- 2003 - 2008 coordinator of the student project: Conservation of Peruvian Terraces - Laraos(Perus) WMF-Watch Site in 2008
- Climatology, Landscape Ecology and Remote Sensing
- Research project Bofedales
- Otto, M. and R. E. Gibbons (2017): Potential Effects of Projected Decrease in Annual Rainfall on Spatial Distribution of High Andean
Wetlands in Southern Peru, in press. doi:10.1007/s13157-017-0896-2
- Garcia, E., Otto, M. (2015):Caracterización ecohidrológica de humedales alto andinos usando imágenes de satélite multitemporales
en la cabecera de cuenca del río Santa, Ancash, Perú.
Ecohydrological characterization of High Andean wetlands based on
multi-temporal remote sensing images in the case of upper Santa River, Ancash, Peru. Ecología Aplicada, 14(2): 115-125.
- Otto, M., C. Höpfner, D. Scherer, J. Curio and F. Maussion (2014): Assessing vegetation response to precipitation in NW-Morocco
during the last decade: An application of MODIS NDVI data and high resolution re-analysis precipitation data. Theoretical and
Applied Climatology, doi: 10.1007/s00704-014-1344-3
- Otto, M., D. Scherer and J. Richters (2011): Hydrological differentiation and spatial distribution of high altitude wetlands in
a semi-arid Andean region derived from satellite data, Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci., 15, 1713-1727, doi:10.5194/hess-15-1713-2011.
- Otto, M. and R. E. Gibbons (2013): Climate Change Driven Implications on Spatial Distribution of High Andean Peatlands in the Central Andes, European Geosciences Union General Assembly 2013, Vienna, 7 – 12 April 2013.EGU2013-12366
- Otto, M., Maussion, F. and Scherer, D. (2013): Influence of Sea Surface Temperature Anomalies in the tropical Atlantic and the East-Central Pacific on Precipitation Variability in the Central Andes (13°S - 18°S), European Geosciences Union General Assembly 2013, Vienna, 7 – 12 April 2013.EGU2013-7956
- Otto, M., Seidel, J. and Trachte, K. (2013): Interannual variability of a precipitation gradient along the semi-arid catchment areas for the metropolitan region of Lima- Peru in relation to atmospheric circulation at the mesoscale, European Geosciences Union General Assembly 2013, Vienna, 7 – 12 April 2013.EGU2013-7914
- Otto, M., C. Höpfner, F. Maussion und Scherer, D.(2012): Vegetation dynamics and land-cover change along a precipitation gradient in the tropical semi-arid high Andes, European Geosciences Union General Assembly 2012, Vienna, 22 – 27 April 2013. Poster
- Höpfner, C., Otto, M., Maussion, F., Scherer, D. (2011): NDVI Time-Series Data and Vegetation Response to Precipitation in North-Western Morocco During the Last Decade. 19th International Congress of Biometeorology: 04.12.-08.12.2011 Auckland, New Zealand. Proceedings p.54.
- Otto, M. and D. Scherer (2011): Seasonal forecast of High Altitude Wetland phenology in the tropical Andes based on MODIS snow cover and TRMM precipitation data,EMS Annual Meeting Abstracts Vol. 8, EMS2011-PREVIEW, 2011 11th EMS / 10th ECAM, Berlin, 12.09.-16.09.2011. 11th EMS/10th ECAM-657
- Otto, M. and D. Scherer (2009): Vegetation response of High Andean Wetlands and surrounding land covers to precipitation in semi-arid mountain region of southern Peru, Water Resources in Developing Countries: Planning and Management in a Climate Change Scenario, Triest, International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP),27.4.-08.05.2009. Abstract
- Otto, M., F. Blume and T. Nehls (2007): Conservation of Peruvian Terraces through Intensification and Diversification - The Role of German Students in the Process, Utilisation of diversity in land use systems: Sustainable and organic approaches to meet human needs, Tropentag, Witzenhausen, October 9-11 2007. Abstract
Teaching in Landscape Planning/Architecture (B.Sc):
- WiSe 2014/15 - SoSe 2015 Supervision of student project
Pollard willows and forest fens- Climate protection and cultural landscape in the case of the biosphere reserve Flusslandschaft Elbe (Germany).
- SoSe 2014 Supervision of student project
City, countryside ... climate! - Research and assessment of the influence of urban climate effects on the human bioclimate using the example of the campus of Technische Universität Berlin.
- WiSe 2013/2014 Supervision of student project
Super campus-climate!? - Bioclimatic classification and assessment of local-climatic conditions using the example of the campus of Technische Universität Berlin.
- SoSe 2013 Supervision of student project
Cool´n hot spots - Urban structures in Berlin from the biometeorological point of view.
- SoSe 2012 Supervision of student project
Macro vs. Micro - The climate of landscape and terrain in the forelands of the Harz Mountains.
- WiSe 2011/2012 Supervision of student project
Climate diversity in cultural landscape in the case of National Geopark Harz . Braunschweiger Land . Ostfalen.
- WiSe 2010/2011 Supervision of student project
Oases of the City – Urban structures from the human-biometeorological perspective.
- SoSe 2010 Supervision of student project
In the shade of trees – Climatic characteristics of urban vegetation.
- SoSe 2009 Supervision of student project
Urban Climate and Urban Space in Berlin.
Supervised Bachelor Theses (selection):
- Felten, B. (2015): Wetland or cropland? Differentiating land cover of the high Andes applying open-access remote sensing data (B.Sc.) pdf
- Wascher, L. (2010): Initiating A Wetland Inventory In The Ecoregion Puna Of Peru (B.Sc.) pdf